Thursday, July 13, 2006

Off to a good start!

I've been struggling to get back into my low-carb routine for a long time. Now it is finally happening! I've lost 6 lbs in the last 2 weeks and I'm feeling wonderful. I hate that I messed up and have to start over on this journey, but we've all been there so you know how it happens.

I'll be posting my losses here as well as other things I think might be of interest to you. I'm sure you will also see an insane rambling from time to time. :0)

Items of interest today:

CHOCOpefection bars.
These bars are, simply put, AMAZING! I won a free box of these in a recent Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Blog Contest. I'm going to write a full review on my website, but I want to let you know that not only do these bars taste wonderful, but they are good for you and this company has amazing customer service. Example: Shipment of my prize was delayed because of an error. After the error was fixed, they not only quickly sent my bars, but they sent me 2 boxes to make up for the mistake! Check back soon for a link to the full review.. there is so much more to tell!


Widow of Dr. Atkins hands over $16,000 check to Candy Strikers

By Karla D. Shores
South Florida Sun-Sentinel Education Writer
Posted February 8 2006, 1:59 PM EST

The widow of the man who created the Atkins Diet on Wednesday presented a $16,000 check to fourth and fifth grade students at North Side Elementary School in Fort Lauderdale to help pay for a field trip to Washington, D.C.

The check is an award of sorts to a group of school children who refused to sell unhealthy snacks as a fund-raiser.

Early report follows:

The widow of the man who created the Atkins Diet has promised a $16,000 check to a Fort Lauderdale elementary school, ensuring students who refused to sell unhealthy snacks as a fund-raiser can still take a field trip to Washington, D.C.

After learning the importance of exercising and eating healthy in a county wellness program, students at North Side Elementary refused to sell candy to raise the field trip money, a decision that has garnered national attention.

Veronica Atkins, whose late husband Dr. Robert C. Atkins started the country's low-carb craze, found out about the students' refusal and intends to dip into proceeds of her foundation, which promotes her mission to combat Type II diabetes.

"I was so proud when the children said you're telling us not to go out and eat sugar and then you ask us to sell it," Atkins said Monday from her home in West Palm Beach. "I said no way am I going to let them down and not let them go on the field trip."
Rest of article here.

I'm very glad to see Mrs. Atkins supporting these children who are trying to make healthy choices! I hope other schools will take the hint and revise their fundraisers as well.

No comments: