Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Don't Worry, Be Crabby!

Today I'm going to post about crabs. Yes, you heard me right, crabs. What does this have to do with low-carb? Not much really, other than that fact that crab is low-carb. And crab and carb have the same letters.

So what happens when a half-insane and tired writer/photographer can't sleep and stays up until 1 am processing photos? They post redickerous stuff in their photostream on Flickr. I won't make you go there though. I'll bring them here for your ridiculing pleasure. My 12 year old almost peed his pants laughing at my photo descriptions, so if you have the same sense of humor he does, you'll probably enjoy these.

A Crabby Discussion


Today is National Photograph Your Crabs Day! ;) That's why I have so many crab shots in my photostream.
These are my kids hermit crabs named Mr. Crabbs and Monica. (I didn't name them.. and we have no idea if they are male or female, so we just threw a gender dart here.)


Monica The Crab


She tends to remind us that she is boss, cause she's got the huge claw that will pinch the crap outta ya and never let go.

Monica the SpongeBob-ish Crab



She should have been named Claw... cause that sucker is vicious!

Mr. Crabbs tries to go to Washington


But he's too slow and he can't drive very well. He's the shy one. I have to check him periodically to be sure he's alive. He must think he's a spy.

Mr. Crabbs Gets A Close Up!


Here he gives us the evil eye.. or is it eyes... Who knows? They both bug out.

Peek-A-Boo! Mr. Crabbs Sees You!



He sees you. He knows your inner thoughts. He controls your mind! You must obey the crab.. you must obey the crab...

Monica's Vacation Home


But she never goes there. She acts like a hermit!

Mr. Crabbs Vacation Home



He too never visits. I think they should sell these... with this economy they could never get a second mortgage!

Well, I hope you've enjoyed this little venture into the abyss of wasted time. If you didn't - pretend you never saw this. :)

8 comments:

T.J. Freeman Jr. said...

these look great... what kind of setup do you use for these type shots? I'm looking to get a low cost setup for eBay type pictures and basic "item" shots like this.

Amy Dungan said...

Hi T.J.!
This is really a simple set up. It's white posterboard, which I've placed in a curved position on a table. (you'll needs something behind to hold the back up, or tape it to the wall, and then tape the bottom in place as well). I used a single light, camera left, bounced in an umbrella. Then used my flash, bounced from the ceiling, as fill. (All other lights in the room were off.)These were taken with my 18-55 mm kit lens, so nothing special there. I shoot with a Canon Rebel EOS XTI.
You can also spend about $50 at Wal-Mart and get a light tent, with two lights and 2 backgrounds (blue and grey), that is perfect for smaller objects. Just be sure your white balance and exposure are correct. That makes a big difference when shooting high key stuff like these.
Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Cute post!

. said...

Hey Amy I love the shells, so cute!

You're very talented :)

Erica said...

You totally crack me up! Just remember, CARB and CRAB are only one letter off!

Amy Dungan said...

Thanks Sadecat! I was feeling goofy and figure I should share. :)

Thanks Sherrie! You are sweet to say so!

Glad you enjoyed it Erica! Oh, but what a difference that one letter can make! :)

Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

Hahaha!Heeehee! ROFL All I can think to say right now, as I'm laughing so much!

Amy Dungan said...

Thanks Jennifer! Glad you liked it!