Saturday, November 25, 2006

I've had a good day today.

I've ate enough protein to keep me satisfied, but have ate very little today. That's the beauty of low-carb. It's so easy to manage your eating because your body kicks in to ketosis (fat burning mode) and you don't have a ravenous appetite. I can eat a small portion of LC foods and be completely content. I don't crave the bad foods or constantly think about my next meal. It's wonderful to have this kind of freedom from food addictions!!!

I've done a little more Christmas shopping today. We had some gift cards to Toys 'R Us and we were going to use them today and let the kids pick out a new ps2 game. They both picked out the game they wanted (and were allowed, we are very particular about what they are allowed to play) and we went to check out. Sadly, we were told that none of the stores were able to take the gift cards right now.. something about the system being down all over the nation. So my babies were disappointed and I was disappointed for them.

I haven't been able to get dh's gift, which I'd mentioned in an earlier post, but I'm hoping to get it this week sometime. :0)

As for our pre-thanksgiving craziness I mentioned before, I'll give you a quick run down. Dh woke up not feeling so well and spent most of the day feeling bad. I was really worried he was going to spend Thanksgiving in bed or in the bathroom. Later in the day we got a phone call saying my grandfather was dying in the hospital. They'd almost lost him 3 times that morning. So now I'm worried about my dh, depressed and crying over my grandpa. This also meant my parents wouldn't be spending Thanksgiving with us because they had to go to Oklahoma to see him, just in case he didn't make it. I didn't mind that.. being with grandpa was more important, but it was still a bit disappointing. Then we took my in-laws to see the Arch, only to not find a parking space close enough that they could make the walk. (My in-laws are elderly and have bad knees.. so they can't walk far.) Then, just a few minutes after we get home, around 6 p.m., I learn that we have very little water. I can't figure it out. My dh goes outside to discover that a main broke under the sidewalk just 3 houses down and water is gushing into the street. A few minutes later the water people arrive and shut the water off completely. We didn't get our water back on until just after midnight, so I had to cook with my bottled water and couldn't do any dishes. No one could use the bathroom either, which was bad news for my sick dh. Just a few minutes after the water came back on I heard water running in our upstairs bathroom, which is just down the hall from our bedroom. I got up to see what was going on. Our toilet tank got clogged from all the dirt that got in the lines and was overflowing all over the floor. I got the water turned off below the toilet and dh brought towels. We spent a good little while cleaning up and making sure it wouldn't happen again. The carpet in the bathroom is still a bit damp today. I finally got to sleep around 1:30 a.m., only to wake up at two because I forgot we left the dog in the basement and I needed to let him out. ( We put him down there because he kept barking at the crew fixing the water lines and we were afraid he'd keep the neighbors awake.) I went back to bed and got up at 6:30 to start the Turkey.

BUT, despite it all, I have much to be thankful for. I have a wonderful family, my health (which is improving with each pound lose) my friends, a roof over my head, food in my stomach, clothes on my back, and most of all I have Jesus. What more could a person ask for?


Michelle said...

How long have you been on a lowcarb diet?

Sparky's Girl said...

Hi Michelle!
I started lowcarbing on Nov. 11th, 2001. I did awesome and lost over 50 lbs. I maintained it and stayed on plan for almost 3 years. I wrote for a couple of online lowcarb magazines, moderated a forum, and was considered somewhat of an expert. Then I had some very stressful situations hit me broadside and I went back to stress eating. I made the committment to myself to do this again and not let life side track me. So here I am again - I restarted on Nov. 10th, 2006. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you have any. :0)