Friday, April 06, 2007

I'm not in the mood for ignorance

Sorry, but willful ignorance just hacks me off. It's one thing if a person just doesn't understand something because they haven't been taught. It's another thing to look the evidence right in the eye and declare it's wrong.

I was just sorting through the articles in my inbox that relate to low-carb when I found one written by a dietitian. That should have been my first clue that this was a waste of my valuable time. But since I seem to like self-inflicted torture, I read it anyway. I was steaming out the ears by the end of the article.

It was the same old tired "There's no such thing as a bad carb, blah, blah, blah". Oh yeah? Tell that to my thighs.. they seem to have missed that in class.

Too bad this so-called expert doesn't realize that no one is listening to her hype anymore. Dietitians, doctors, and biased researchers have knowingly lead this country down a path of disease ridden obesity. Do they care? No. If they told the truth they'd lose money. A majority of this nation doesn't NEED all the drugs we are told to use. I'd love to have a dime for every prescription written daily. I'll bet I'd be loaded by the end of the month.

A healthy low-carb diet can do so much for ones health. I know it's not for everyone, but it would sure help a myriad of people get off medications, improve lipid profiles, stabilize moods, increase energy, lose weight - I'm talking about Quality Of Life! I've yet to meet anyone that gave the low-carb lifestyle a REAL try and was disappointed.

So as far as I'm concerned these "experts" can take their health advice and stick in their ear. I'm tired of being lied to, and tired of seeing others lied to as well. I thank the good Lord I know the truth. But there are so many who have no idea that other options exist. They go to the "professional" for the help they desperately need, only to be give the same old useless advice. The patient leaves feeling hopeless, helpless and abandoned.

I'm here to say there is NO reason to feel this way. Look at all the amazing success stories built from low-carb living. Here's just a small sample:

Jimmy Moore
Karen Rysavy
Dana Carpender
Kate Welch


I could list many more success stories, but you get the idea. I mean, you can even look at the success I had from 2001 to 2003!



But surely I, and a host of others like me, must be wrong. We can't function on less than 120 carbs per day. Our bodies just don't do well on less than that, or so we have been told.



They must be right. I look terribly unhappy here. Don't you think I look sickly and peckish? It's all due to that terrible low-carb diet I merely existed on.

Do you have pictures of yourself from your low-carb experience? If so, and you'd like to share them, I love to compile a low-carb picture collage and post it here for all to see.

For those who still refuse to see the truth, Mark McManus posted a great article yesterday titled How to Lose Weight and Keep it off Permanently. He summarizes the path to success in simple terms. No big words or medical jargon. Just good common sense! I'm looking forward to reading his future articles on this subject. And who can argue with Mark? Just look at his pictures and you'll see what I mean. He is a great example of fitness and health!

I'll end this rant with a saying my husband has on one of his t-shirts:

Never Underestimate The Power Of Stupid People In Large Groups!

Like I said, I'm just not in the mood.....

11 comments:

KatieP said...

Hi Miss Girl
You're welcome to use my before and after shots I posted the other day. Shall I email them to you? Although technically I lost doing low cal/fat, I have kept it off thanks to a low carb life style. I am a true convert and can't believe I endured the agony of being hungry and exhausted for almost two years when all I had to do was stop eating that bread/rice/pasta.
Don't be too cranky -- there are loads of us enlightened ones who don't listen to all that medical advice -- we listen to our bodies.
Katie
xxxx

Amy Dungan said...

Great Katie! Send 'em to me! Wouldn't it be awesome to have a huge picture post of people who are getting/staying healthy on low-carb!

I promise not to get too cranky. I have other issues right now and this just gave me a reason to vent. :0)

TESS said...

You are so right! It really does make me angry as well that THOSE people refuse to see what is right in front of them. I would send you photos but I have no way to scan them in. Keep up the good work and you will soon look just like you did!

Amy Dungan said...

Thanks Tess! If you ever do get a way to scan your photos, just let me know and we'll do an updated one. :0)

Alcinda (Cindy) Moore said...

I have before and during...about halfway actually.

I stopped dying my hair, so I look a touch older, but you can see the difference in my face.

Amy Dungan said...

Great Cindy! You can send them to amy@healthylowcarbliving.com Thanks for pitching in!

Unknown said...

Some people have learned to stop listening to diatitians, but most people still treat them as a god when it comes to info. If the diatitian says it, then it MUST be right.

NutriSystem has at least one diatitian on staff - there's a board to ask her questions about the plan. And what does NS recommend? A diet composed of 55% carbohydrate. Small amount of Light Cool Whip are allowed.

Thanks, but I think I'll pass on the Cool Whip and the heavy carbs and eat more protein. :-p Most days I average 25-35% carbs (net carbs), not the 55% (total carbs) they recommend.

Unknown said...

Hey I lost 200+ lbs eating like this---granted I had the WLS done to get me started but the LC WOE is what keeps me successful.
I have some pics I've been trying to get on my blog in a smaller version. I'll email you a few so you can pic some out.

Amy Dungan said...

Victoria,

I know what you mean. It's frustrating when you have the evidence, your own health, to show them and they ignore that proof in exchange for a dietitian who has probably never had a weight or health issue in his/her entire life.

You are doing awesome! Just keep it up and give those NS folks a run for their money! :0)

Bamagal,

Thanks for offering to send the pics! I haven't checked my e-mail yet, but I'll do that soon.

I know, I'm supposed to be on vacation, but I had a few minutes and thought I'd check in.

Aaron said...

I feel very fortunate. My Doctor recommended Atkins and/or South Beach for weight loss and to help control my bp. He did recommend not doing an actual induction phase because I only have one kidney, but he is a big supporter of the LC way of life.

Amy Dungan said...

PK, (is it ok if I shorten your name down like that?)

Thanks for visiting me! Yes, you are indeed fortunate. I'm glad there are some doctors out there that really get it. So how are you doing on your lc lifestyle?