Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day at Jefferson Barracks


The seemingly endless rows of tombstones


Yesterday was a beautiful day at the Jefferson Barracks Cemetery. We parked and walked past rows and rows of tombstones. The sheer magnitude of what I was seeing took my breath away. If you've never been to a place such as this, it's hard to understand the feeling of sacrifice and honor that settles down on you.

We found a nice spot close to the front of the seating area and settled in for the memorial ceremony. With my camera in hand, I tried to capture the morning. Here is what I saw:


















I'll admit to crying through parts of it, but I wasn't the only one. My Grandfather told me stories of his time spent in WWII. His infantry was right in the thick of the Battle of the Bulge. My Father-in-Law was in the Korean War and has told us stories that will make your blood grow cold. My sisters boyfriend served time in Desert Storm. I have friends serving in the Iraq war. My list could go on and on. I love them all and appreciate what they have sacrificed that we may have freedom. THANK YOU to all who currently serve and have served your country in the past. May all our dear soldiers come home safe, and may they be richly blessed beyond measure.

No comments: