Thursday, February 28, 2008

Links of all shapes and sizes

Some links I thought you'd enjoy:

The Low-Fat Diet is Fueling Our Rate Of Obesity - I really can't add anything to this other than to say BRAVO!

The High Carb Diet - be sure to watch the video so you can get the gist of it. As a summery, this guy lost 70 lbs in 5 months because he ate nothing but carbs and left out meat,eggs and dairy. The Doctor selling this plan is John McDougal. He claims humans were meant to eat this way and starches should be the mainstay of your diet. PETA LOVES this man. *Huge Eye-roll Here*

Your Brain Needs Carbs - *Snort! Laugh! Snicker* Excuse me while I finish laughing over this one. This has to be the most unscientific piece of drivel I've read in a long time. I've gotten to where I don't even want to share these kind of links anymore because it's always the same old story. I'm tired of repeating myself. But this one was too funny not to share. Let me bring out the finer points here:

Carbs, however, give us the sugar we need to function in the form of glucose that the body gets when it breaks down food. Glucose is the easiest fuel for our body to use.


So because it's the "easiest" that makes it the best? Where's the research to back this statement up? Anyone who believes this should really check out Dr. McCleary's book The Brain Trust Program - lots of good stuff in there.

We need a minimum of 130 grams of carbs per day for our brains to operate properly, Roberts says. For a 2,000-calorie-per-day diet — the amount recommended for the average adult — that's 225 to 325 grams of carbs per day, she says.


I've gone years without consuming 130 carbs per day (most of the time it's been between 30 -40) and my memory is better than ever. I no longer have "brain fog" and I feel amazing. Roberts will have a hard time convincing me I need them.

Dade suggests limiting carbohydrates from processed foods like chips, cookies, candy and soda.


Well, at least we agree on this one.

"(Any food) that takes you longer to chew up (is) probably better for you," Smith says.


Ok, THIS wins the Stupid Quote of the Week Award. Ya know, I think wood would take me a long time to chew and I'm sure it's loaded with fiber. Maybe I should just eat that. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I can see it now - The "Chew Longer Diet - lose weight with just one LONG meal a day!"

*sigh* NEXT!


And now, for your viewing pleasure, a commercial brought to you by Sugar Alcohols!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that stupid old chestnut about 130 g of carb. Even Michael Pollan, who is otherwise a good thinker and a smart man, fell for that, saying that glucose is the brain's preferred fuel. What "preferred" means is, if you give your brain a large supply of glucose, it will suck up 130 g of it every day. But, because blood glucose fluctates a lot, it can also leave your brain in an energy crisis when supplies are low. Ketones are a much better fuel, because the supply fluctuates much less, as you would expect with a fuel that is made from a substance - fat - that each of us stores several pounds of.

Amy Dungan said...

Hi Migraineur!

I remember reading a study a few years back talking about how the brain actually functioned better on Ketones than glucose, but I couldn't find the study when I searched for it. I hate mentioning a study without giving links, so instead I mentioned the Brain Trust book, which has a lot of great information on this subject.