Monday, February 18, 2008

Review: Skinny Songs CD


I was contacted a couple of weeks ago by a marketing company who asked me if I'd be willing to review a new CD titled Skinny Songs. Here's what they told me:

SkinnySongs isn't about dieting, and it's not workout music. Rather, SkinnySongs is the first radio-hit-quality music specifically written for empowering and inspiring people to reach their weight and fitness goals. Some people listen while exercising or walking, while others find it helpful when driving or cooking - getting through rough days and strengthening resolve for reaching goals.


Sounds pretty good. But what qualifications would these people have in regards to knowing about weight loss battles? Have they been in our shoes? It sounds like Heidi Roizen has. Here's the story behind the CD:

Penned by Roizen herself, SkinnySongs reflects her own personal journey:

"About seven months ago I hit an all-time high, I had gone from a size 8 to a size 14. Facing my 50th birthday, I did not want to enter the 'back half' not feeling good about myself, and at an unhealthy weight. Since music has always been a motivator to me, it occurred to me that maybe there would be great songs I could listen to while walking, or even in my car, that would motivate me to succeed, much in the way 'I will survive' by Gloria Gaynor got many of us through a breakup. I couldn't find any, so I wrote SkinnySongs."


I thought it sounded interesting and told them I'd be glad to review it. I received it over the weekend and can only think of one word to describe it - unusual. I can honestly say I have never heard anything like it.

I enjoy doing housework or exercising to upbeat, energizing music. I have my list of usual favorites on my mp3 player. None of them sing about weight loss or shopping for skinny clothes, but they motive me just the same. This CD has a foot thumping mix of country, rock and hip-hop beats and will definitely get you moving. (I walked around all day Saturday with the Skinny Jeans song stuck in my head.) It's the words that throw me off a bit. I guess I'm just not used to lyrics such as:

skinny jeans, skinny jeans, you’re still hanging ‘round
In the back of my closet and that’s bringin’ me down
this morning, I woke up, and made me a vow
skinny jeans, gonna get back, into you somehow


OR...

I spent years in misery
‘Cause everyone who looked at me
Was thinking evil thoughts about my thighs

Made up my mind, I’d had enough
I was determined to get slim and buff
I hit the gym, and no more fries!


Not your average kind of songs. And not 100% politically correct, so if you are sensitive about certain aspects of weight loss and obesity, this might not be for you. (It's not rude.. they just don't tip-toe around the subject.)It does certainly keep me thinking about my weight loss goals, so that's a plus!

If you'd like to learn more about the story behind the lyrics of each song, you can check it out here.

The song list is as follows:
1. Skinny Jeans
2. Thin!
3. I'm a Hottie Now
4. Use It To Lose It
5. Incredible Shrinking Woman
6. Think I'll Go To Saks
7. You Da Boss
8. Objects In The Mirror
9. Who The H*** Is That?
10. Blowin' You Off at 8

If you'd like to hear samples of the songs, you can do so here.

Do I like it? Actually, the more I listen to it the more it grows on me. They really are pretty good songs, although there are a couple I can admit I'll probably not listen to often. Song # 5 is a bit cheesy (just my opinion) and song # 9 uses a word we don't allow in our house (at least not when used in the above context). But everyone has their personal likes and dislikes when it comes to music, so I have no doubt this CD will appeal to a large audience. They already have several glowing reviews from customers.

I have to admit the lyrics are witty and several of them made me laugh. Hearing some of these thoughts expressed in song was pretty entertaining. And the preforming artists are fantastic. Superb voices with professional production. I could have done without the jean-clad rear end that greets you when you remove the CD. (Guess I'm not into looking at other female behinds... lol)

They are also selling motivational shirts. This one is my favorite:


Modeled by creator Heidi Roizen


I believe this CD definitely has a market. Whether you are a part of that market, only you can decide. This is one of those things that everyone will have to choose according to their personal tastes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Amy,

Interesting post. I like to listen to music as I workout. I know you said this really isn't workout music, but you never know. I had hoped to open the link, but I could not get it to open, not sure why, but will try again later. Thanks again for keeping us in your prayers.
Shari

Anonymous said...

HI Amy,

Just a note to let you know, I Googled it and that let me open up the site. I think it's interesting. Good beats, things (lyrics) we've all had thoughts about.

Amy Dungan said...

Hi Shari!

They claim it's not workout music, but I could certainly move to it. Want a free one? So far it looks like I'll have one left over unless I get more comments on this post by midnight tonight.