Friday, August 29, 2008

HFCS is just like fruit juice???


Those of you who have read my blog for any amount of time know that I do not believe healthy eating and HFCS can go hand-in-hand. It's nutritional diarrhea - plain and simple. Nor to I advocate eating simple sugars in any form, including fruit juice. So you can imagine my surprise when I read the latest comment concerning my Zevia review on my examiner column. It was from the President of the Corn Refiners Association, Audrae Erickson. She contends that HFCS is proven not to cause obesity and compares it to fruit juice. As if that's going to convince me it's ok.

I knew you all might have a lot to say on the subject, so I thought I'd share the opportunity for you to voice you feelings about HFCS. If you have any studies or thoughts you'd like to share with Ms. Erickson, please do join! The more the merrier! (I'm working on my reply, but it's going slowly due to a fatal illness in the family. I'm having to divide my time between the computer and the phone.)

Check it out here and let the CRA hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

HFCS is healthy? It is like saying sugar is healthy. A little fructose won't hurt but the problem is that the sheer amount of fructose people are consuming along with regular sugar has gone up considerably, as both are turning up in so many foodstuffs. One of the worst culprits is soda pop (equivalent of 17 teaspoons of sugar in one can). If one drinks several of those a day with HFCS, you can bet over time that will raise triglycerides and speed aging, etc., and possibly lead to hyperinsulinism, too much extra weight, diabetes and heart disease. This HFCS is not from fruit - it is a highly refined commercial product. It is a concentrated form of fructose.

"There is a 76% increase in Type II diabetes in adults 30-40 yrs old since 1990. The percentage of overweight children in the United States has tripled since 1980."

Too much sugar consumption overall - HFCS is one of the sugar culprits in the minds of many experts.

Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

Sorry to hear what you're going through with a family member. :-(