Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Low Glycemic Food Popularity on the Rise!



This is great news for those who have diabetes or are hypoglycemic, but it's also great news for low-carbers too! According to this article, the demand for low glycemic foods is on the rise. Thankfully the product manufacturers are starting to listen.


"Low-glycemic foods and beverages have made it out of their corners in health food stores to become widely accepted, where they are often double marketed with like-foods, as well as in the diabetic supplies aisle," said Don Montuori, Packaged Facts publisher.

This exposure, he said, "helped create a remarkable growth market, much akin to what low carb was."

So much so that sales are projected to reach $1.8 billion in 2011, according to the report.

"We are seeing more product manufacturers bringing them to us," Wulfeck said of Kroger buyer meetings with vendors.




The article also had this to say...



Because of the popularity of the South Beach and Sonoma diets, Neufarth said consumers are seeking low-carb foods and those without refined sugar.

"That's good, but we need to keep the message simple: if you eat food in its whole form, your body knows how to process it," Neufarth said. "That's how our bodies have been designed."



I appreciate Kathy Neufarth saying that consumers seeking low-carb foods is a good thing, but I hope she isn't implying that low-carb is too complex for the average person to deal with. Low-carb is eating food in it's whole form. No processed junk. No refined sugars. Some plans do restrict higher glycemic fruits and grains at the beginning to maximize loss, but that's only a temporary exclusion.

I, for one, am glad to see that more people are starting to see the need of watching their intake of sugar. I ate a frightening amount before low-carb. Every low-fat item I put in my mouth had some form of sugar in it. I thought I was eating so healthy, despite the fact that I felt like death warmed over and was gaining weight. I'm so thankful my eyes were opened to low-carb and many health benefits therein. I hope the the low-fat product manufacturers will be listening as well and reduce the amount of sugar and HFCS they are adding to their products. There are many people who still believe in low-fat and do well on it for the most part. I'd hate to see those same people develop health conditions like diabetes because they were simply trying to eat right.

No comments: